I was setting up patch management for a client recently using ConfigMgr 2007 SP2 with R3 and WSUS.

Everything was working fine apart from their DPM server was not returning a status of compliant.

After reviewing the client side windows update agent log file %windir%\windowsupdate.log I noticed the following

SyncUpdates failure, error = 0x8024400E, soap client error = 7, soap error code = 400, HTTP status code = 200

and further down in the log there was

There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. —> Maximum request length exceeded.

After looking through the Microsoft support pages one thing that kept on being returned was ‘maxRequestLength’ and ASP

This made sense as the error was appearing in the log after the client had tried to connect to


After looking in the Web.Config for the ClientWebService I changed the value for the input stream buffering (maxRequestLength) from 600 to 3000 and the problem went away.

After this the DPM server patched fine and was compliant.

All I can say is if you are going to implement this ‘fix’ test…test…test…